Interests in inventing:
- New methods for obtaining organic compounds
- Application of organic compounds in electronics and optoelectronics
In obtaining organic compounds
- Synthesis methods in obtaining sulphur-organic compounds
In application in electronics and optics
- Materials with high photoconductivity
Selection of patent documents:
Totally: 66 authors’ certificates of USSR, 2 patents of other countries.
- Method for obtaining the substituted 4,5-ethylenedithio-1,3-dithiol-2-thione. O.Neilands, J.Kacens, J.Kreicberga. Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.1428753
- Photo-semiconductor device with inner photo effect. E.Silins, L.Taure, O.Neilands. Authors’ certificate of USSR Nr.465132.
About the inventions
The discovery of new synthesis methods of organic compounds is based either on the already existing well-known reactions that are used in an unusual way that has not been applied before or a completely new unexpected interaction of organic compounds is found that gives the desirable or a completely new reaction product.
The reaction of the sulphur-organic compound with two thione groups and saturated compounds are used in my inventions thus carrying out the diene synthesis (Diels-Alder reaction) in an unusual way.
The invention has been published and is being used by other specialists in organic synthesis for the obtaining of new sulphur-organic compounds. In their turn these sulphur-organic compounds are used for the synthesis of new materials possessing the characteristics of semiconductors and metals.
The implementation regarding the development of new synthesis methods is connected with the usage of these methods both in my own laboratory and other laboratories as well as in a plant’s laboratory or experimental workshop in the best case.
- Organic Synthesis
- Theoretical Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry of 1,3-Indandione and ß-Dicarbonyl Compounds
- Modification of Fullerene
- Organic Metals and Semiconductors
- Charge Transfer Complexes
- Hydrogen Bond Complexes
- Policoordinate Iodine Organic Compounds
- Organic Materials for Electronics and Optics
Languages: German, English, Russian, Latvian
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Chemistry) cum laude, 1956
- Dr. chem. (Candidate of Science in former USSR), USSR Academy of Sciences , Moscow, 1961
- Dr. habil. chem. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1971
- Senior Technician, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Latvia, 1956-1958
Riga Technical University, Faculty of Chemistry (Chemical Technology)(since 2000 - Faculty of Material Science and Applied Chemistry), Latvia -
- Postgraduate, Lecturer, Senior Researcher, 1958- 1964
- Associate Professor, 1964-1973
- Head of the Department of Organic Chemistry, 1964 - 1999
- Professor, 1973-1999
- Professor Emeritus, Leading Research Fellow, 2000 -
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1989
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Gustavs Vanags Prize (in Chemistry), 1978
- The Latvian State Prize, 1980
- The Merited Scientist of Latvia, 1982
- The Gustavs Vanags Medal (Riga Technical University), 1991
- The Solomon Hiller Medal ( Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis), 1992
- The Paul Valden Medal (Riga Technical University), 2000
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences and Public Joint-stock Company " Grindex" Award, 2000
Work in poffessional community:
- Member, (Vice-chairman, 1991-1999), Latvian Council of Science Expert Committee for Chemistry, 1991-2002
- Chairman, Habilitation Council (Organic Chemistry), Riga Technical University, 1991-1997
- Member, Promotion Council (Chemistry), Riga Technical University, 2000-
- Member, the Latvian Academy of Sciences Gustavs Vanags Prize (in Chemistry) Committee, 1989 -
- Chairman of Programme Committee, Conferences on Chemistry of beta-Dicarbonyl Compounds (1966, 1971, 1976, 1980, 1986, 1991)
- Member, The American Chemical Society, 1996 -
- Member, The Latvian Chemical Society, 1990 -
- Member, Management Comission of Action COST D19 “Chemical Functionality Specific to the Nanometer
Scale”, European Comission, 2000-
- O.Neilands, J. Stradinsh, E. Silinsh, D. Balode, S. Valtere, V. Kadisha, S. Kalnina, V. Kampars, I. Mazheika, L. Taure. Structure and Tautomeric Interconversions of ß-Dicarbonyl Compounds, 1977, Riga: Zinatne, 448 pp. (in Russian).
- Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Tormoz G.V., Neilands O.Ya., Kolotilo N.V., Il’chenko A.Ya., New long-chain tetrathiafulvalene derivatives with a diacetylene group. - Tetrahedron Letters, 1992, vol. 33, N 7, pp. 973-976.
- Tormoz G.V., Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Neilands O.Ya., Belyakov S.V., A novel cyclocondensation reaction of xantogenic acid derivatives, containing the active methylene groups with isothiocyanates. Spectra data and X-ray structures of the products. - Tetrahedron, 1992, vol. 48, N 33, pp. 6863-6874.
- Roze M.P., Berzinsh E.L., Neiland O.Ya, The synthesis of 3,4-dicyanophenylmalonic acid esters and preparation of soluble phthalocyanines. - Zhurn. Organ. Khim., 1992, Vol. 28, N 4, pp. 827-830 (in Russian).
- Neiland O.Ya., Synthesis and properties of surface-active quinones and tetracyanoquinodimethanes. - Sibirsky Khim. Zhurnal, 1992, N 4, pp. 45-51 (in Russian).
- Tormos G.V., Neilands O.J., Cava M.P., Synthesis and characteristics of bis(5-carbomethoxy-4-methylthio-3-phenyl-2-thiazolinylidene). - J. Organic Chemistry, 1992, vol. 57, N 3, pp. 1008-1009.
- Neiland O.Ya., Tilika V.Zh., Edzhinya A.S., Pyrimidotetrathiafulvalenes. - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 1992, N 8, pp. 945-950 (in Russian pp. 1122-1128).
- Neiland O.Ya., Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Tilika V.Zh., Synthesis of derivatives of new heterocyclic system 5,7-dioxo(4H,6H)-1,3-dithiolo[4,5-d]pyrimidine on the basis of barbituric acid. - Chem .Heterocycl. Compounds, 1992, N 12, pp. 1432-1438 (in Russian pp. 1667-1673).
- Sudmale I.V., Tormos G.V., Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Edzina A.S., Neilands O.J., Cava M.P., Synthesis and properties of new bridged tetrathiafulvalenes. - J. Org.Chem., 1993, vol. 58, N 6, pp. 1355-1358.
- Sudmale I.V., Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Edzhinya A.S., O.Ya.Neiland, Synthesis and properties of (4-hydroxy-5-methoxycarbonylthieno)-tetrathiafulvalenes. - Chem. Heterocyc. Compounds, 1993, N 6, pp. 652-658 (in Russian pp. 761-768).
- Rutkis M.A., Gerca L.E., Silinsh E.A., Neilands O. Y., Roze M.P., Berzinsh E.L., Klimkans A.B., Larssons S., Langmuir-blodgett films of indandione-1,3 pyridinium betaine. I Preparation, electronic structure, optical properties. - Advanced Materials for Optics and Electronics, 1993, vol. 2, pp. 319-330.
- Neiland O.Ya., Katsen Ya.Ya. A new electrondonor for conducting Langmuir-Blodgett films- stearoyloxymethyl-bis(ethylenedithio)tetrathiafulvalene. - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 1994, N 3, pp. 373-374 (in Russian pp. 422-423).
- Khodorkovsky V.Yu., Ellern A., Neilands O., A new strong electron acceptor. The resurrection of 2,2’-biindanylidene-1,3,1’,3’-tetraone. - Tetrahedron Letters, 1994, vol. 35, N 18, pp. 2955-2958.
- Neiland O.Ya.,Tilika V.Zh.,Edzhinya A.S., Pyrimidotetrathiafulvalenes. 2. Trimetylsylilation of 5,7-dioxo(4H,6H)-1,3-dithiolo[4,5-d]pyrimidine-2-selone and the use of the silylated product for the synthesis of 2,4-dioxopyrimidotetrathiafulvalenes. - Heterocycl. Compounds, 1994, N 9, pp. 1116-1119 (in Russian pp. 1285-1289).
- Neilands O., Belyakov S., Tilika V., Edzina A., Synthesis and X-Ray crystal structure of a novel tetrathiafulvalene dimethyl[2,4-dioxo(1H,3H)pyrimido]tetrathiafulvalene, able to form intermolecular hydrogen bonds of nucleic acid base-pair type. - Chemical Communications, 1995, N 3, pp. 325-326.
- Troitsky V.I., Berzina T.S., Katsen Ya.Ya., Neilands O.Ya., Nicolini C., Conducting Langmuir-Blodgett films of heptadecylcarboxymethyl-BEDT-TTF. - Synthetic Metals, 1995, vol. 74, pp. 1-6.
- Neiland O.Ya., Tilika V.Zh., Supe A.A., Edzhinya A.S., Pyrimidotetrathiafulvalenes. 3. Synthesis and properties of cation-radical salts, cation-radical betaines and iodine complexes of dimethyl[2,4-dioxo(1H,3H)pyrimido]tetrathiafulvalene and its N-alkylderivatives. - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 1996, N 1, pp. 123-129 (in Russian).
- Neilands O., Tilika V., Sudmale I., Grigorjeva I., Edzina A., Fonavs E., Muzikante I. Dioxo- and aminooxopyrimidotetrathiafulvalenes--p -electrondonors for design of conducting materials, containing intramolecular hydrogen bonds of nucleic acid base pair type. - Advanced Materials for Optics and Electronics, 1997, vol. 7, pp. 39-43
- Puplovskis A., Kacens J., Neilands O. New Route for fullerene functionalisation in cycloaddition[4+2] reaction using indene. - Tetrahedron Letters, 1997, vol. 38, N 2, pp. 285-288.
- Sudmale I., Puplovskis A., Edzina A., Neilands O., Khodorkovsky V. An efficient synthesis on new long chain substituted tetrathiafulvalene derivatives involving two tetrathiafulvalene moieties. - Synthesis, 1997, N 7, pp.750-752.
- O. Neilands, I. Sudmale, A. Schnell, K. Georgieva, Th. Kappe. Synthesis of 5-Dialkylaminothio-carbonylthiobarbituric Acids and 5-Diethylaminothiocarbonylthio-6-aminouracil. - J. Heterocycl.Chem., 1998, vol.35, N 1/2, pp.157-160
- O.Neilands. From deep coloured 2-Aryl-1,3-indandiones - organic semiconductors to photoconductors, non-linear optical materials and synthetic metals. - Latvian J. Physics and Techn. Sc., 1998, N 4, pp.28-38.
- L.M.Goldenberg, O.Neilands. Hydrogen Bond Complexation of Dimethyl-[1-butyl-2,4-dioxo(1H,3H)pyrimido]tetrathiafulvalene with aminopyridine derivatives probed by cyclic voltammetry. - J. Electroanalyt. Chem., 1999, vol.463, N 4, pp.212-217.
- M.Utinans, O.Neilands. Quantum chemical calculations, synthesis and properties of novel organic materials with the photoinduced intramolecular electron transfer and giant change of the electric dipole moment in the excited state. - Advanced Materials for Optics and Electronics, 1999, vol. 9,. pp. 19-25.
- D.Gonzalez, O.Neilands, M.C.Rezende. The solvatochromic behaviour of 2- and 4-(N-pyri-dinio)phenoxides. - J.Chem.Soc.,Perkin 2, 1999, pp.713-717.
- V.Khodorkovsky, A.Ellern, L.Shapiro, O.Neilands. Synthesis and Properties of a Novel Electron Acceptor Derived from p-Benzoquinone, Tetrahedron Letters,1999, Vol.40, pp.4851-4854.
- M.Plotniece, E.Shabanova, O.Neilands, K.Schaumburg. Dihidrofuro-Fused Fullerene C60 Derivatives: Side Chain Reactions and Characterization. - Acta Chemica Scandinavica, 1999, Vol.53, pp.528-529
- N.Tonkikh, H.Duddeck, M.Petrova, O.Neilands, A.Strakovs. Unusual formation of 2-Aryl-7,7-dimethyl-6,8-epidiseleno-5,6,7,8-tetrahydro-5-quinazolones. - Eur.Journ.Organ.Chem., 1999, pp.1585-1588.
- O.Neilands, V.Liepinsh, B.Turovska. Synthesis of Novel Tetrathiafulvalene System Containing Redox-active Ribonucleoside and Oligoribonucleotide. - Organic Letters, 1999, Vol.1, No13, pp.2065-2067.
- O.Dubrovich, M.Utinans, V.Zauls, O.Neilands, Synthesis, Modelling and Characterization of Novel Non-Linear Optical Polymers Containing Indandionylpyridinium Betaine (IPB) Units. - Materials Science and Engineering C, 1999, Vol.8/9, pp. 391-394.
- O.Ya. Neilands, E.B.Shebenina, G.G.Pukitis, Investigation of Reaction Ability of Substituted Phthalic Acids and Anhydrides in a Condensation Reaction with N-carboxymethylpyridinium, Substituted N-carboxymethylpyridinium and N-carboxymethylisoquinolinium salts and Synthesis of Novel N- (1H-indene-1,3(2H)-dion-2-yl)pyridiniobetaines. - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 1999, No 12, pp. 1647-1654 (in Russian).
- Neiland O.Ya., Belyakov S.V. Ethyl(3-amino-2-phenyliodonium)crotonate tosylate: synthesis, crystal structure and preparation of heterocyclic compounds on its basis - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 2000, No 6, pp. 770-777.
- M.Utinans, V.Khodorkovsky, O.Neilands. Long Chain Substituted Tetracyanoquinodimethanes: a Convenient Synthetic Approach. - Synthetic Communication, 2001 vol.31, N 7,pp.971-974.
- O.Neilands. Aryliodonuim betaines as sources for catalytic generation of dioxocarbenes and acylnitrenes . In: "Modern Problems of Organic Chemistry", Issue 13, ed. A.A.Potekhin, R.R. Kostikov, M.S.Baird, 2001, StPetersburg University Press, pp. 145-176.
- O.Neilands, Dioxo- and aminooxopyrimido-fused tetrathiafulvalenes - base compounds for novel organic semiconductors and for design of sensors for nucleic acid components recognition. - Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 2001, Vol.355, pp. 331-350.
- M.Giffard, G.Maban, E.Leclair, N.Mercier, M.Allain, A.Gorgues, P.Molinie, O.Neilands, P.Krief,
V.Khodorkovsky, Oxidation of TTF derivatives using (diacetoxyiodo)benzene; a general route towards
cation radicals, dications and nonstoichiometric salts. - J.Amer.Chem.Soc., 2001, Vol.123, No16, pp. 3852-
- O.Neilands. The Use of N-Carboxymethylazinium and Diazolium Salts in Synthesis of Indan-1,3-dione
2- Onium Derivatives. - "Chemistry and Biological Activity of Nitrogen-Containing Heterocycles and
Alkaloids", Vol.1, Moscow, Iridium Press, 2001, pp. 410-416.
- O. Ya. Neiland, R. A. Valter, S. B. Belyakov. 5.7.-Dichloro-1,3-dithiolo[4,5-d]pyrimidine-2-thione and -2-selone: synthesis, crystal structure, solvatochromism and reactions with nucleophiles. - Chem. Heterocycl. Compounds, 2002, No 1, pp. 87-94.
- O.Neilands, Aryliodonium betaines of (-dicarbonyl compounds: synthesis and use in generation of
dioxocarbenes. - Latvian J. Chem., 2002, N 1, pp. 27-59.
- O.Neilands. Organic compounds capable to form intermolecular hydrogen bonds for nanostructures
created on solid surface aimed to sensor design. - NATO Science Series II- Mathematics, Physics and
Chemistry "Molecular Low Dimensional and Nanostructured Materials for Advanced Applications",
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002, pp. 181-190.
More about the inventor (in English)